First, we have to congratulate our launch authors, our first authors, the ones who kicked it all off:
and of course to the many authors who have joined us since: Congratulations!
Escape is nothing without you, and we love working with you!
Here are some stats about our first five years:
- Over 650 000 books sold
- Almost 400 distinct titles (that’s nearly 400 happy endings!), across 14 subgenres
- 143 authors, 71 of which published their very first book with Escape. Most are still with us, either exclusively, within the greater Harlequin family, or as hybrid authors
- The authors who have published the most titles with us are Juliet Madison (11), followed closely by Rhian Cahill (10) and Jenny Schwartz (10)
- Our three best-selling genres are Rural Romance, Scottish Romance, and Paranormal Romance
- We have been nominated for six, and won TWO Romantic Books of the Year Awards (R*BY) from the Romance Writers of Australia
- We have been nominated for more than 90 Australian Romance Readers Awards (but won one):
- Cathleen Ross, Base, Favourite paranormal, 2016
- We have been nominated for a RITA Award (Romance Writers of America)
- Frances Housden, The Chieftain’s Curse, 2014
- 54 titles have also had print runs, whether as a single title, or as part of a bundle
- Finally, the traditional five-year gifts for anniversaries are wood and silverware. So may we please suggest:
- For wood: Tea Cooper’s The Cedar Cutter, an Australian historical rural romance about a seamstress with a past, and a cedar cutter looking for a future, set in the majestic cedar forests of the Hunter Valley
- And for silverware, Unrestrained from Rhyll Biest, which isn’t strictly about silverware, but does involve a scene around dishwashing that will leave you breathless…
Once again, from all of us at Escape, thank you for five years of reading, writing, and storytelling, and here’s to many, many more!