by MA Grant
My family is full of readers and whenever we get together (rarer times now since I live in Alaska and everyone else is in California), my mother rereads us our favorite children’s books. Laura Joffe Numeroff’s If You Give a Mouse a Cookie was a favorite for me and my sisters, and now my niece and nephew love it just as much. Even better, there’s a companion cookbook which has a family favorite recipe: Cousin Bitsy’s Smooches (or, as they’re known in my family, Chocolate Smoochies). The recipe is simple and addictive.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup softened margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- approximately 30 unwrapped Hershey’s Kisses
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit (175 degree Celsisus or Gas Mark 4).
- Mix together all the ingredients except the Kisses.
- Drop one-inch balls of dough onto a greased/parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Press a chocolate Kiss into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the bottom edges of the cookie are golden brown.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack (to avoid molten chocolate Kiss burns).
Best friends do everything together—including falling in love…