Escape Artist Louise Forster found this and passed it along to help all fellow writers… We think ‘inoculatte’ is of particular interest to some of our authors!
The Washington Post‘s Mensa Invitational once again invited readers to take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter, and supply a new definition.
Here are the winners:
- Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period of time.
- Intaxicaton: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.
- Foreploy: Any misrepresentation about yourself for the purpose of getting laid.
- Giraffiti: Vandalism spray-painted very, very high
- Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn’t get it.
- Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
- Karmageddon: It’s like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it’s like, a serious bummer.
- Decafalon (n.): The gruelling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you.
- Glibido: All talk and no action.
- Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
- Arachnoleptic Fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after you’ve accidentally walked through a spider web.
- Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.
- Caterpallor ( n.): The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you’re eating.
The Washington Post has also published the winning submissions to its yearly contest, in which readers are asked to supply alternate meanings for common words.
And the winners are:
- Coffee, n. The person upon whom one coughs.
- Abdicate, v. To give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.
- Esplanade, v. To attempt an explanation while drunk.
- Willy-nilly, adj. Impotent.
- Negligent, adj. Absent-mindedly answering the door when wearing only a nightgown.
- Lymph, v. To walk with a lisp.
- Gargoyle, n. Olive-flavoured mouthwash.
- Balderdash, n. A rapidly receding hairline.
- Rectitude, n. The formal, dignified bearing adopted by proctologists.
- Frisbeetarianism, n. The belief that, after death, the soul flies up onto the roof and gets stuck there.